Sorting Laundry

Monday, April 04, 2005

The Joys of Math

As you may have noted from my little blog description, I plan on going back to college after some time off (read: 9 years). Because it has been so long since I have taken math, I have to take a placement exam for college math, the COMPASS exam.

It may seem odd, but I have been "studying" up for the exam.

You see, my first college was a Private Big 10 School that has a notoriously poor football team (although they did make it to the Rose Bowl in 1995-96 season, and choked). Now I am planning on attending a small, southern state college. (Why? Because it's close by and my tuition is paid for. Strong enough reasons, I guess.) Because I am sooooo old, they have deemed me a "Nontraditional Student". So, even though I was enough of a smarty-pants to get into and do well at the school I first attended, I still have to jump through certain hoops. And, if I screw up on the math exam, I have to take a "remedial" math course. Which would be a big blow to the small amount of ego I have left.

"How long have you been out of high school? Mmm Hmm. Well, most of the Non-traditional students end up in the 'Learning Support' math course. Very few prove us wrong."

All right, lady. The bet's on.

So, I have purchased a book called Maths: A Student's Survival Guide
A Self-Help Workbook for Science and Engineering Students
by Jenny Olive
. And I am brushing up on my math. Yeah, it says "Science and Engineering Students". Yeah, most of it makes me cross-eyed and gives me a headache just thinking of it. But, I did manage to do enough "factorising" (yes, Ms. Olive is from across the pond) to make me feel like I just might finally get it.

I'm only in the first chapters. We shall see. Pray that I don't choke like my Wildcats did in '96.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home