Sorting Laundry

Saturday, April 23, 2005

The Day in Which I Allow Myself to Be Interviewed by Jamelah

Why did you decide to start a blog?
To assuage my irrational feelings of self-importance.


Why is math so evil?

Anything that can not be naturally discussed in the course of normal conversation is evil. One can not discuss mathematics in normal* public discourse any more than one can discuss their evil terrorist plans without scorn, derision and possible death threats. It's that simple.

*Clarification - discussing the fact that math is evil does not count. Here I am referring to such discussions as this:

"Hi, Theodore, what did you do this weekend?"
"I just wrote 'Computer programs that numerically investigate the behavior of the Newton quotient of a function at a point. In this case, the function is not differentiable at the given point but the limit of the symmetric difference quotient exists.'"
(italicized text is a quote from "Visual Calculus", a website that describes itself as "A collection of modules that can be used in the studying or teaching of calculus.")


Why did you decide to go back to school?

Um, to study math. . .

Actually, there were a number of factors that went into my decision, so I'll share the most influential one:

A career at Wal-Mart just does not appeal to me.

How old is (are) your child(ren)? What's one of your favorite things about him/her/them?

My son is 6. My daughter is 3.

One of my favorite things about my son is his creativity. I'd share some of it, but he swears he is going to get all of his artwork copyrighted and his inventions patented first; and I have been sworn to secrecy.

Sorry.

One of my favorite things about my daughter is that she sleeps nine hours or so each night, allowing me to see her in an activity that does not include writing on the walls with permanent marker, grinding torn-up cheese slices into the living-room carpet, spilling juice on the television or making notes in my books with lip-gloss.

Okay, this is kind of cheating because I already asked someone else this question, but I still think it's a good thing to ask. No cheating and picking more than one -- what is the BEST SONG EVER?


The best song EVER?
"The Big Rock Candy Mountain"
by: Harry "Haywire Mac" McClintock
"Oh the buzzin' of the bees/In the cigarette trees/Near the soda water fountain/At the lemonade springs/Where the bluebird sings/On the big rock candy mountain"
Just think if cigarettes really grew on trees!

We actually sang this in my elementary school music class, and I think the cigarette part must have been censored out. Did you know they actually have the lyrics to this song (though they call it "Big Rock Candy Mountains") on the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) website?

Fascinating.
Luckily for us, they have left a lovely disclaimer:
"Remember, although this is a fun song to learn and sing, having such easy access to cigarettes and alcohol would not actually be a "good" thing. Smoking and alcohol addictions are harmful to your health. " -NIEHS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let it hereby be known that Jamelah has commanded that all of her interviewees must offer to interview anyone brave enough to ask. If you would like to be interviewed by me, you are more than welcome to ask.


Same rules apply (courtesy of Jamelah):
"1. Leave me a comment saying “interview me.”
2. I will respond by asking you five questions here.
3. You will update YOUR blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions."

1 comment(s):

Thanks for doing the interview. Good answers! I also think Big Rock Candy Mountain is an awesome song.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:18 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home