Sorting Laundry

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Those Confounded Variables!

Daggummit!

Somehow yesterday in my Psych class, my professor got lost in a deep, thoughtful discourse on online IQ tests.

To summarize his 15 minute, um, discourse:
a) Online IQ tests are not an accurate way to determine true IQ.
b) They all give you a lovely IQ score because they want to tell you what you want to hear. (Basically, so that you'll buy their exclusive $19.95 guide to how you're a genius if you buy their $19.95 guide.)

This got me thinking, "I wonder if it is possible to score in the 70's on these tests. Or do these sites just give everyone a 130, and tell them they are very bright and need to buy the $19.95 guide?"

So, this morning, I decided to do a very unscientific test of online IQ tests, to answer this question.

1. I did a Google search for "IQ Tests"
2. I clicked on Tickle, because, fascinatingly enough, they are not only an online IQ testing site, but they are also a dating service! Splendid!
3. I took the Tickle "Classic IQ Test"*
4. I intentionally picked wrong answers throughout the test.
5. I scored a 77.
6. While this proves that someone can, in fact, score in the 70's on an online IQ test, this does not prove that IQ test sites will not tell you what you want to hear. Read on...
7. This is what my "score report" told me:
"Congratulations!Your IQ score is 77

This number is based on a scientific formula that compares how many questions you answered correctly on the Classic IQ Test relative to others."


Wait, it gets better...

"Your Intellectual Type is Inventive Inquisitor."

Wow!


"You have the unusual distinction of being equally good at math and verbal skills."


Really? Perhaps because I got all of the answers equally wrong?


"This means you are a creative thinker and are uniquely good at teaching others through experiences."

Does it scare anyone else that the fine folks at Tickle would encourage someone with a 77 IQ to teach?


"You are also a great improviser and very good at handling change. Find out more in your personalized 15-page IQ Report. It's ready right now!"


Ahh! Here it is. The sales pitch.


"In your IQ Report:
A summary of your intellectual strengths from certified staff PhDs
How your IQ compares to others
Average Tickle IQ scores by state
Charts and graphs of your results on 5 intelligence scales
Simple exercises to improve your IQ
The complete answer key to all the test questions"

Of course, knowing all of the answers to the test questions I can become Einstein! Hooray!


"Plus, purchase your personalized IQ Report today and receive a FREE 7-day Premium Test Membership giving you unlimited access to all tests and personalized analyses on Tickle. At the end of your free trial, you can have continued access to $1,000's worth of the best and most scientific testing, analysis, and advice for only $19.95/month."

What a deal!

8. Of course, when I looked up what a 77 IQ means on other websites, I became a little deflated. Apparently, I am "Borderline". Borderline what?

According to these test results I am about 7 points away from being "mentally deficient / impaired / retarded".

9. Here are my preliminary unscientific results:

Accuracy of score:
Not entirely sure. But, I think 77 is a fair score for someone who missed all of the questions. I'm surprised it was not lower. I suppose you do need at least minimal intelligence to use a mouse and click on the answer dots. (Yes, I know there is a more technical term for "answer dots". Give me a break! My IQ is 77, after all.)

Accuracy of interpretation of score:
Not accurate at all. Yes, they are just trying to sell us all something. Sigh.

But, hey, look on the bright side. If I register with Tickle's dating service, I can find another mentally deficient person** just like me for love, romance and adventure!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*"Our Classic IQ Test is the most thorough and scientifically accurate IQ Test on the Web." -Tickle
** This blog entry should not be construed as a value judgement against those with low IQ's. This blog post should be construed as a value judgement against online IQ tests.

2 comment(s):

hiya Faith... ummm ahhhh... gosh geee... took me two hours to answer all the questions and still only made a 45... and that was ummm .. wait.. gotta take off my shoes... oh yeah... my ummm whats a one with a two next to it called.... hold on.. gotta count em again.. ok... yeah fourteen.. Well any way... ya dun good...

LOL Faith very well writen, enjoyed the tongue and cheek.. always fun to read your blogs...
hugs...
"jsyiayia"

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM  

ok ok.. i blew it... never said i could write.. or tell a joke for that matter... LOL

well atleast i posted... thats whats important.. right? ofcourse right!!!
j&m's yiayia

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home